Upper Key Stage 2
Welcome to Upper Key Stage 2
Staff across Year 5 and Year 6 are looking forward to the forthcoming year. We have lots of exciting topics and residential’s planned!
Staff Year 5
- Mulberry – Mrs Richardson
- Sycamore – Miss Kirk
- Hornbeam – Mr Hallet
- Lime – Mrs Armes
- Support – Miss King, Mrs Hardman, Miss Finn
Staff Year 6
- Oak – Miss Crossley, Mrs Watt
- Ash – Miss Hampton, Miss Ridley
- Support – Mrs Kearney
Teaching and learning in Upper Key-stage Two is centred on an enriched curriculum, which encourages children to become independent learners and thinkers. We deliver the curriculum using inspirational learning activities. Our choice of topics creates a classroom environment that motivates and interests the children.
We will be enhancing children’s learning through enriched first-hand experiences. Over the course of the school year, the children will have the opportunity participate in a range of exciting residentials.
When children reach Year 5 and Year 6, we follow the ‘Renaissance Reading’ scheme. Children can choose from an exciting range of fiction and non-fiction books and have an opportunity to work on the computer to take comprehension quizzes, based on the book that they have read. Children can earn points for each quiz that they pass and they receive a reward for reaching given milestones.
- 30 points – a book
- 60 points – a bookmark and a pen
- 90 points – £5 book voucher
- 120 points and above – £10 book voucher
The children are given weekly spellings and times tables to learn for their homework. We appreciate the support that you provide, when helping your child to complete homework tasks.
The children have been allocated house teams;
- Guisborough Forest – Green Group – Mrs Richardson
- Danby Forest – red Group – Mrs Armes
- Grozedale Forest – Blue Group – Miss Wallis
- Hamsterley Forest – Yellow Group – Miss Rennison
The house team with the most points at the end of the year will visit the forest their team is named after.