“Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.” Steve Jobs
Our intent is that our Design and Technology curriculum provides children with a real life context for learning. At Park End Primary, we want to allow children to aspire to be more. Through the DT curriculum, children should be inspired by engineers, designers, chefs and architects. We intend to challenge our children to develop their knowledge and apply it practically to the design and creation of a variety of projects, mechanisms and food products with a real life purpose, that is relevant in our rapidly changing world. We intend that high quality DT lessons will inspire children to think independently, innovatively and develop creative, procedural and technical understanding.
At Park End Primary school our vision is to enable children to use their creativity and imagination to design and create products that are relevant to the real world.
Children will learn how to take risks and become resourceful, innovative, enterprising and capable citizens. Through the evaluation of past and present design and technology, they will develop a critical understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world. High-quality design and technology education makes an essential contribution to the creativity, culture, wealth and well-being of the nation.
We have developed a clear and comprehensive scheme of work in line with the National Curriculum.
Through a variety of creative and practical activities, we will teach the knowledge, understanding and skills needed to engage in an iterative process of designing and making. The children will design and create products that consider function and purpose and which are relevant to a range of sectors (for example, home, school, leisure, culture and the wider environment).
The children will be taught to
- master practical techniques
- take inspiration from designers
- design, make, evaluate and improve their designs
- Develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- Build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to take part in design and make projects and critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others.
- Understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.